Punctures

Matters of general interest
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Punctures

Postby Big-D » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:31 am

I took a preacher for a flip Saturday and did a quick touch and go before leaving the circuit. Had a pleasant flip and as I came in to land the trike came to an abrupt halt as I touched down. At first I thought my preacher pax was hitting the brakes and only after did I realized that the front wheel was flat. Scary stuff.

My question is: I know mountain bikes use this green stuff called slime and this prevents the wheel from going flat. Has anybody used this or a similar product on a trike? Would you recommend it?

Cheers

David
Big D
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:06 am

Ive used it,.... had two flat rears on a fly away to denysville which created a spot of bother as i had a long return flight and bad wx on its way :evil: :evil: ,...... that was in 2000......... never had flats since........ so seems to work!!... two bottles evenly distributed between 3 wheels
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 am

I had a puncture repaired by the local tyre guys who deal mostly with underground mining machines.

After patching, He pumped some slime gunk in the tyre and guarenteed me that I would never have another puncture again.

This stuff is applied to all tyre application underground, giving at the least, enough time to change tyres, preventing breakdowns.

He also offered that should we line up the planes and trikes, he would offer us a 'pomp' in the tyres at cost, but nothing much was done.
:oops: :oops:
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:51 pm

We used to have hassles with SLIME when deflating tyres on bikes or 4x4's as it would get stuck in the valve area. For a trike however I can't see you deflating tyres unless you have thin tyres and want to land on the beach.