Ballistic Parachute

Matters of general interest
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Ballistic Parachute

Postby GR8-DAD » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:16 pm

This' been bugging me a lot lately :x

Is it worth it, is it reliable, sence of security and peace of mind when flying?

Was wondering how many MPL's got it and what the different opinions are?

Believe cost is approx: R18k and weight penalty not too bad - seriously considering getting it.
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

GET IT !!

Postby Chaz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 pm

Heya GR8-DAD !!

My advice "GET IT". For what its worth it offers you that extra peace of mind and does offer a second chance. Was the first accessory i put on mine. Can one ever put a price on any safety measure especially in aviation. Abe is your contact man for the GRS.

Your's in Flying 8) 8) 8)
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Topic been covered quite alot. My opinion is if you can afford it, get one.

It certainly won't de- value your trike.

It' like a safety belt -if the thought worries me, I always slip it on.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:18 pm

GR8-Dad,

as mentioned, if you can afford one then get it. Just remember one thing, check your overall weight of your plane. a Chute will add another 13 KG to the total weight of your plane and this could limit you to how much is left for carrying.

Plane about 210Kg empty if it was built light.
Chute: 13Kg
Fuel 38 liters = 27Kg
you are left with 185kg maximum weight allowed. (The plane is rated at 960 pounds, 436kg)

Remember to manage your total all up weight, i.e. if you are carrying a heavier passenger then reduce your fuel load and obviously this will limit your distances. Also, with us Capies who have to climb from sea level to 8500 to clear Du Toits kloof, performance at these heavier weights and altitudes will be reduced.

PS, I am currently putting doors on AUK and seriously considering a 582 motor for her, my little plane is about to be come a Hot Rod. 8)
Greg Perkins
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Bennie Vorster » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi GR8-Dad,

Also look at this link.

http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=1284

As for me.................. the way things are happening now, I finished consedering and are busy saving up. :?
Growing old is far more dangerous than flying !!!
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
Bennie Vorster
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Ballistic Parachute

Postby Bennie Vorster » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:43 pm

GR8-DAD wrote: Is it worth it, is it reliable, sence of security and peace of mind when flying?
Did anyone of you guys ever used one before :?: and have some experience there of. :? :? :?
Growing old is far more dangerous than flying !!!
Bennie Vorster
083 277 5110
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:57 pm

Hi GR8-DAD

I recon a ballistic is a must. Sure it is a few Rand, but can save your life.

My wife's condition when I took up flying was to get one, and I am really glad I did. Makes you feel safer, especially with passengers on board where their lives are in your hands.

My one instructor is old school and during my training he initially did not like the idea of having a rocket on board but after a while he was asking me "Is the ballistic armed Dave?" before every take-off. Recon it made him also feel just that bit safer as well :D

Get one. It's money well spent

Regards

D
Big D
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:20 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of accidents that have claimed the lives of microlighters over the past few years have been low level flying into obstacles, or stalling the aircraft, on takeoff or stalling on landing. In all of these the chute would have been of no help whatsoever.

It is extremely rare to get structural failure of microlights, especially fixed wings. If you do have sufficient altitude and you have en angine failure, you should be within gliding distance of a landing spot.

I can see the value of a chute where you fly over inhospitable terrain and where you hit bad weather, that reduces visibility to zero etc. You should technically not be flying in these conditions.

Your best safety equipment is the one between your ears.

I have only ever heard of one person, who has used a chute. He is on this forum and his name is Mc Guyver. HIs story is here http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=847&start=0
Greg Perkins
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby GR8-DAD » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:58 am

Morph wrote:
Plane about 210Kg empty if it was built light.
Chute: 13Kg
Fuel 38 liters = 27Kg
you are left with 185kg maximum weight allowed. (The plane is rated at 960 pounds, 436kg)
I scare the weighbridge at 98 kgs (maybe 10 kgs of winterfat in reserve), I'll guess that mommy will have to shed some pounds to give us more lift :!: :!: If she sees this: HKGK :twisted: :twisted:

Hey Morph, 582 sounds gr8, what is the possibility of a 912? Too heavy or too expensive?

MY GRS on order, thanx for all the input.
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:09 am

Is it possible to fit one to a fixed wing? where would you attach it ? I mean if you are going to have a structual failure you have to be sure that the BRS deploying doesnt just take the piece it was attached to right off your plane :!:

I have visions of me going down in the fuzz of my plane and the wing and chute gently drifting down to earth :shock: :shock:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:49 am

There are many ways of attaching it to a fixed wing. GRS, or even better BRS's website have plans for pratically every plane in existance. Bush Baby type planes for example have them fitted inside the cockpit behind the seats. The window above the chute has a circular hole cut in it for the chute to launch through. The hole is then closed with a small circular piece of lexan and a rubber seal. This will be popped open when the chute launches.. The composite planes have the chutes inside the rear part of the cockpit as well. Again they will have a port throught the fuselage for launching. What is critical is the attachment point/s to the frame.

Here is the BRS installation for a Challenger

Greg Perkins
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:51 am

Quite a few new fixed wing aircraft are being produced with an option for fitting a ballistic parachute system of some sort - normally fitted behind the cockpit in the fuselage so that it fires upward through a "soft patch". Check out the Galaxy GRS site - there have been some amazing saves! Sure that BRS have similar examples.