PPL to MPL & vice versa

Matters of general interest
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

PPL to MPL & vice versa

Postby GR8-DAD » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:51 am

Q: When you have enroled on PPL and after 25 hrs wish to apply for MPL, is it as simple as doing a conversion and flight test for a ML (3-axis)? Assume that PPL is done a) on Cesna 150 b) Bushbaby registered for both PPL and MPL.

Q: If MPL license was obtained on PPL registered Bushbaby , can you continue with 25 hrs in the bag to PPL 40 hrs on a) Bushbaby b) Cesna 150 ?

Q: If original Medical was issued for Cat 2 - PPL and therefore 2 years for sub-40 pilots and you change to MPL (5 years validity), can you just continue on the original Flight Medical until 5 years or must it be ammended or even another test?
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:57 am

Good Questions, I'd like to see the answers..Regards, Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:44 am

This info will help for the MPL -> PPL route

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7372
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: PPL to MPL & vice versa

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:12 pm

GR8-DAD wrote:Q: When you have enroled on PPL and after 25 hrs wish to apply for MPL, is it as simple as doing a conversion and flight test for a ML (3-axis)? Assume that PPL is done a) on Cesna 150 b) Bushbaby registered for both PPL and MPL.
In theory I don't think you can chop and change. Under correction I think the aerie needs to be reg's as Plane for PPL and Micro for MPL. In practise it may be possible as I know a couple who have started out on MPL and simly continued to PPL on same plane?
GR8-DAD wrote:Q: If MPL license was obtained on PPL registered Bushbaby , can you continue with 25 hrs in the bag to PPL 40 hrs on a) Bushbaby b) Cesna 150 ?
Reg's are changing at moment, but credit has always been a contentious issue. As above, In practise it may be possible as I know a couple who have started out on MPL and simly continued to PPL on same plane?
GR8-DAD wrote:Q: If original Medical was issued for Cat 2 - PPL and therefore 2 years for sub-40 pilots and you change to MPL (5 years validity), can you just continue on the original Flight Medical until 5 years or must it be ammended or even another test?
Would need to get CAA's opinion on this one as the medical will have expiry date on it. Am sure that some Doc's would re issue 5 year backdated?

Aeroclub, MISASA, CAA et al are currently looking at the whole 3 axis / sport plane / light aircraft licensing situation New Part 62 at moment I think :wink: Best bet is to address these issues to CAA licensing as they are ones who will issue the licenses. They have been quiet good in past when I did PPL to 3 axis MPL convex. Can be likened to type convex with new system usually 3-6 hrs depending on yur experience. If been flying heavy Witchita blik then longer than if been flying a Jabi or Cheetah on PPL, to get used to light controls and Rattex eng...
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby GR8-DAD » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanx Skybound :D

Very clear and to summarize: You will get credit for all hrs flown on MPL if the same aerie is also PPL registered and the school offers PPL rated instructors AND the groundschools exams meets PPL standard.

PPL to MPL is perceived an easier transition as you only have to convex to a MPL, no extra or different exams required. :P

The comment of the radiolicence is unclear, my understanding is that a Restricted Radio licence is same irrespective of what you fly, MPL'ers might probably be out of practice at a place like JHB or CT Int cause they never fly there and never speak to apron or tower :?:
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:43 pm

GR8-DAD wrote:The comment of the radiolicence is unclear, my understanding is that a Restricted Radio licence is same irrespective of what you fly, MPL'ers might probably be out of practice at a place like JHB or CT Int cause they never fly there and never speak to apron or tower :?:
Correct Resticted radio Lic is same regardless.. :wink: