Help.....Future french tourist

Matters of general interest
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Help.....Future french tourist

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Dear all,
I am a french engineer getting married next July. I try to organize a 2 weeks trips in South Africa for the Honey moon (from 31/07 to 15/08). Our plan is to rent a car (4x4x or pick up) in Johannesburg all travel all around the country but I think more time in North west. Our principal interest is animals, nature and big spaces and I think this area is the most interesting. We want find a QUIET place to stay 3/4 days and perform 1 or more microlight flight. Can you help us? What are the rates per day or per flight?

Thanks by advance and Best Regards,

Guillaume
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:14 pm

Hello friend

Before I start I first need to say contrary to "American" believe, we do not have lions and elephants roaming our streets and sleeping in our yards!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

A good place to visit seeing that you love animals and want to incorporate this with some flying, is Kwamadwala Game Reserve just south of the Kruger National Park. :!: :!:

This will probably be the best place SA has to over for what you want to do!! My 2c :wink:

http://www.kwamadwalaflying.co.za/
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:18 pm

Thank you for these informations....
We are beginners...then a stupid question..We are two then we need 2 microlights?
You know approximatly standard rates?
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Guillaume wrote:Thank you for these informations....
We are beginners...then a stupid question..We are two then we need 2 microlights?
You know approximatly standard rates?
Yip, they use 2 seater microlights, thus the pilot and one passenger. You will book 2 microlights. On my previous response click on the link and go to "rates", there you'll find all the info.

It's a bit expensive in South African terms but probably cheap-cheap for you guys, not to sure of the exchange rate! :oops: :oops:
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Do you know some good place to stay near this place...?
Accomodations are around R1400 per night and per people...a little expensive for us....
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:10 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: This is expensive!! The best is to get some kind of travel guide for that area maybe!! The other option is the Kruger National Park just north, which is probably the best place to go in SA to view game. You will pay alot less there in one of their camps.
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Many thanks!!!
If you prefer, contact me by pm

Can you give me more details relative to good places where to stay...

As I explained you, we will rent a car in Johanesbourg (I think 4x4 or pick up is a good idea: what do you think?) and we will travel in North east and east staying 2/3 days in each places

If you have others good ideas for me...... not too expensive....

1-Do you know some place who can organize some ridings?
2-Do you know some quiet place to stay 2/3 days but without many tourist...but not too expensive?
3-Do you know a good place to rent 4x4 or pick up in Johannesbourg?
4-Do you know a place where we can do night excursion?
5-Do you know a place where we can do safari with quad or moto?

and place for microlight flight too!!!!!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Hi Guillaume

You will coming in our winter time which is not peak tourist season so you should get better rates. However, since you are hiring a car why not rather use Bed and Breakfast establishments, usually at 2 to 3 star in comfort, and they cost R250 to R400 per person per night. You can find them in every little town and all over the countryside. Hotels are going to cost you from R600 pp per night for 3 Star and upwards. Game Lodges are expensive but you can get those with self catering tented camps that are reasonable

Do you want to take flights over the areas where there is game? If you just want to fly then go to one of the flying schools all over the country. For example, Northern Natal is a beautiful area to explore, it has a sub tropical climate, loads of Wildlife parks, beautiful beaches and if you get close to Durban you can arrange flights with Fairy Flycatcher who is on this forum. Look her up in the memberlist and email her. for more details.

The North West areas are also very beautiful with more traditional African Bush. At that time of year expect the evenings and mornings to be very cold, warming nicely through the day.
Greg Perkins
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:43 pm

Your are perfect!!!!
You understand me well: B&B is perfect...only thing...we want just a few privacy (please no dormitory....). But we are OK for tented camp or sleeping bag for few nights!!!

Give me all your good address.... by pm if you want!!!

Sorry for my english but I hope you understand me well!!!!

Demon,
Only six beers.....cool!!
Give me more details about your proposal!!!!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:55 pm

All B&B are private, room, Double Bed, private bathroom etc. The tented camps I spoke of are the same, private tent with bathroom. The advantage of the B&B is that you dont have to book. Pick a direction and explore, when you come in to town stop at the first B&B you can find.

Here is a website our company is working on. The booking section is not working yet and it might be a bit slow but all of the data is there. Try Northern Natal and Mphumalanga for the best options of sea, wildlife and nice weather and scenery. The prices are accurate. Enjoy

http://www.travellinck.com/TravelLinckWeb/index.do
Greg Perkins
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Nobody have some ideas to help me...?
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:52 pm

Guillaume,

Here is a good site to choose accomodation, just select what you are looking for eg price, location, prefrences, accomodation types.......

http://www.venuesearch.co.za/sess/RBAco ... accom.html or another good site is www.mtbeds.co.za

You can find all the information (and make your bookings) you need on the Kruger National Park (or the other national parks) at: www.SANParks.org

Hope it helps....

Stan
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
Guillaume
Thinking of flying

Postby Guillaume » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:00 pm

good web sites....but your country have a lot of parks!!
1-What are the advantage/ disadvantage of national park compared to private parks?
2-For you, What are the best parks? and why?
velocity
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby velocity » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:21 pm

demon wrote: and enjoy the 6 beers (per pilot))
and there I brought 24 beers.... :shock: :wink: although I did drink a few of them myself :oops:
Graham F
velocity
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby velocity » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:11 pm

demon wrote:but velocity we were 4 pilots :shock: 8)
I thought there was only going to be 1 pilot or I would have brought more...... :oops: :wink: - 12 for you & 12 for me :shock: :lol:
Graham F