Microlight menace!?

Matters of general interest
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:49 am

Mr RottonCrotch was quick to generalize in the broadest terms; and then quickly cover himself by saying...... " ha ha ha only joking :evil: " or "Ha ha ha get over it, deal with it etc"

Well he certainly didnt "get over "or "move along" with Warts direct "jokes" in response...... perhaps a slight sense of humor failure Mr RottonCrotch :?: :?: :?:

Next time why dont you find out the make and model of the aircraft which will enable you to make sweeping statments such as " all WINDLASS pilots.... " or how about "all SAFARI pilots".... OR how about all EC130/135 pilots... :P ......

When i first read his well researched and unbaised articles, my blood pressure hit the roof.... i had the strong urge to get out the goggles, the scarf, the leather flying cap, remount the vickers machine gun back into place and "mozie" on down to his spot for a few straffing runs........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I re-read the ariticle and then had significant brain fart.... spot the trend here:

KB:
Next time you hear a ML in the sky, if he's doing everything right, smile and wave as you go past

flyguyj1:
If it flies, it should be treated with the same respect........ If it flies with a tail wheel, bow down, if it is a bi-plane scrape while you are at it.....

FAWGie
Let's not forget that many microlighters have gained invaluable and considerable experience from flying these "grass routes" machines and have an excellent understanding of weather and wind which eludes many heavier aeie jocks....

My experience is that many a microlighter who lacks in radio proficiency, more than makes up for it in aviation enthusiasm and if a more experienced pilot extends the polite courtesy of exlaining some matters, it goes a long way towards improvement.... Weight shift trikes as well as low enerita 3-axis aircraft require flying capability to a far higher degree than larger aircraft...so the next time that you hear a "plastic bag" pilot fly past, remember that the individual probalby has mastered better flying skills than yourself...
flygyj1
perhaps your comments are a little off the mark...assholes are assholes in the sky irrespective of the aircraft type or genre of aviation they participate in..... You say "BUT it also puts it in the reach of assholes who should be riding a bike.." after "...Makes it affordable..."

Is this because the very wealthy are exempted from acting like assholes, should they be able to fly the citation down to the pozzie by the sea?

I think not........

zoofly
Eish
What to say....
I think one should not generalize. If one M/L pilot displays bad airmanship/judgement/is an asshole/etc - are therefore all microlighters the same
If one chopper pilot does something that endangers some other aircraft - are all chopper pilots the same...
Lets fly and enjoy our great hobby/sport/profession. If a pilot of any sort maybe through arrogance or ignorance or stupidity does something we do not like, agree with etc, critisize the pilot, if possible to his face - but lets not paint all other pilots in the same category the same colour

So what started out as a "joke" :? (that seemed to insinuated a few deeper personal issues :? ), has seemed to spin quite a few positive MPL coments from his collegues........ hows that for funny :) :) :) :)

Thank you to all of the pilots who have enough lateral thinking to take ML`s for what they are... pilots. period.

Your take home message for today Mr RottonCrotch:
All pilots have had a few close encounters with other aircraft and poor radio procedures...... not only heli pilots and certainly not all caused by "plastic bags"

Incidently....... i cant help but notice that weight shift motorised "plastic bags" set the benchmark over 100 years ago, and still flying strong today....... so heres to the next 100 years.... how funny is that :?: :?:

And yes...... standard six year was a good year for some quaility family time, i ended up in the same class as my kid..........
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
velocity
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby velocity » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:04 am

From AVCOM
Lardbeast wrote:Velocity, C205, myself, Bladerunner and Anton have no room to talk here. We're the lowest link on the aviation food chain. We're so low, even viruses spit on us, refuse to talk to us and huddle together nervously when we're about. Regular pilots lock up their beers and daughters when we're about and ATC age prematurely when they hear us coming. Microlight pilots shun us (though that could have something to do with a half pig melon some loon chucked on a braai a few years ago).

That's right, we're *shudder* SKYDIVERS!! :roll:
(**) -0< ':- Please dont you guys start shouting at us as well - we also*sniff* just want to be liked and wanted as well *sniff* :roll: :wink: :twisted:

As an aside I have only had the most professional and fun dealings with ML people wherever I have been involved with y'all. I also think RK probably said what he said in jest which then got people :evil: Anyway I reckon move on and maybe address the origionator of the AVCOM thread concerns / fears (it was not RK - cant remember who it was now) - now if I had to get upset everytime someone called me a meatbomb....... :wink:

Blue Skies & Safe Flying
G
Graham F
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:13 am

No apologies necessary Demon. End of the day we all need to get along and stop thinking in our silos. Need to keep the best interest of ALL flying pilots at heart.

Velocity, I am probably worse than you okes - I started off as a Paraglider pilot. That must be a throw out off all forms of aviation. :wink: :lol:

For some retribution - have my airband radio on, just heard a fling wing get kaked on for overflying the main apron with aircraft and fuel bowsers on it. The bozos :twisted: :wink:
velocity
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby velocity » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:21 pm

skybound ® wrote:Velocity, I am probably worse than you okes - I started off as a Paraglider pilot. That must be a throw out off all forms of aviation. :wink: :lol:
Hah you think you bad :roll: , we so bad ($$) ($$) ($$) (**) :wink: BTW we invented paragliding - called it 'slopesoaring' in the early 80s. After a long night @ the Wits Skydiving Club pub (^^) puff xxx we would take our tried and trusty parachutes and climb up a nearby mine-dump in the middle of the night and run off / down the slope with an open parachute for about a 3s 'free' ride and then crash into unseen trees, pieces of iron, rocks etc @ the bottom.... :shock: Skybound how did we survive ? OK your turn :wink: :lol:

Cheers
G
Graham F
Redeye
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Redeye » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:39 am

I dont take part in Avom any more but I looked at this topic-

Of all the most stupid comments to make- In my almost 1800 hours of flying I have seen PPls do far more dumb things than MPLs-

I fly out of an Airfield that hates micros- and that makes me mad

When I read stuff like this my blood boils - total assholes

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Flying flying flying-- and a bit of gliding
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:21 am

Maybe a bit like the Danish(sp?) feel at moment. Did not seem like a bad idea at the time :roll:
Last edited by RV4ker (RIP) on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:57 am

velocity wrote:Skybound how did we survive ? OK your turn :wink: :lol:

Cheers
G
\

($$) Velocity - luxury, sheer luxury.

Back in my day we did not have mine dumps. We had to trek through the cold mountains with no shoes or warm jerseys. We also did not have money for a tried a trusty chute so we had to construct it from plastic jiffy packets that we retrieved from peoples garbage.

We crashed into a den of bos varke. (**) Give me the unseen trees and iron any day.
:lol: :lol:
:arrow:
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I have appointed myself as the sole moderator of all posts by Totter, oops, I mean Rotor Kop on Avcom. I will meticulously check all his spelling and grammar and bring to his attention the errors that I notice. This way I am sure to assist the moron in improving his English. :twisted: :twisted:
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:25 pm

velocity wrote:we would take our tried and trusty parachutes and climb up a nearby mine-dump in the middle of the night and run off
Oh the wonderful memories of youth, :D We used to take old scrap bicycles, or better still if we found a dumped car in the veld it took all of us a few days to cut the roof off, leaving as much of the posts attached to the roof, and we would then lug it up the mine-dump. all jump onto it, each holding his own post and slide back down. It was great and only darkness and the odd broken arm stopped the day's fun :D 8)
Greg Perkins
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 pm

To keep you all informed, I have sent Rotor Kop an apology for calling him an "arsehole" as after a cooling down period I realise that the posting could have been a tounge-in-cheek poke at ML.

Peace maker at work.
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:55 pm

what he say???
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:09 pm

skybound wrote:We also did not have money for a tried a trusty chute so we had to construct it from plastic jiffy packets......
Oh no :!: :!: So you're the inadvertent inventor of microlights then :twisted: :twisted:

Duck Rogers
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Im confused :oops: :shock: is this all a joke now? :( I cant seem to find or see it :? but hey thats just me. :?:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:55 am

Duck Rogers wrote:
skybound wrote:We also did not have money for a tried a trusty chute so we had to construct it from plastic jiffy packets......
Oh no :!: :!: So you're the inadvertent inventor of microlights then :twisted: :twisted:

Duck Rogers
Nah, that was my mate Jimmy Twotter. He found one of those Woodstock type tents (the ones with flowers) that had been disposed off, along with a deck chair, and a weed eater.

:twisted: :twisted:
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:13 pm

I think that it is relevant here to post an excerpt out of a PM I received from Rotor Kop on Avcom following my apology and I think it sums up quite nicely how a lot of people think:-

Your appology accepted Warren, i must also appologise as i was ignorant to the fact that there was "them & us" as you referred it. I am also a newbie here and enjoy aviation in all it's forms , but especially Helicopters.
I am sorry if i did offend you - but honestly i was just pulling a leg or 2 My sense of humour does often not sit well with others, and i guess i must learn to be a bit more carefull in what i say. And i do appreciate your sorting the misunderstanding out.

Let us now say that this is behind us, but please let us make an extra effort to ensure that we keep our radio work top-notch, especially those that fly in controlled airspace, and ensure that our airmanship becomes something that everyone else admires.

Thanks