Matters of general interest
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Goodbye Circus...Hello Xwinds!!!

Postby Madman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 am

Morning all,

Hope you had an awesome weekend ##

Saturday morning,my wife and I drove to Circus...it was a mission for her getting up that early as she aint used to it :lol:

We departed Roodekrans 04h30 and headed to Circus,got there at around 05h30...the sun still has not shown itself ##
I did my preflight,loaded fuel...by the time I was done,there was light :lol: Started up and my wife left with the car and headed to Xwinds. Met a dude with a Paraglider and it really amazes me to see them fly..really awesome how you have everything on your body as one would have on the trike....the only thing I was not lekka with was having the fuel tank underneath my a$$...as iets gebeur..dan is jy 'n regte Vlamg@t ##

Well,I took off at around 06h20,it was a nice and cold that morning...had plenty lift...like Jo always said.."you gonna take off like a home sick (-) " I did one orbit over Circus before waving goodbye and routing to Xwinds.

Climbed to 7000 and remained there for the entire flight until I was about 10 miles out from Xwinds...when I dropped to 6000 as I knew they in the Lanseria TMA.The trip there was shweet..checked out the FNB Stadium which Jo and I never got to see on our XCountry ##

There was alot of radio work as there were many people flying in the West..arriving at Xwinds was interesting as you over Tarlton raceway and you have a beautiful view of the Magalies mountain range.I orbited the airfield twice before joining circuit..finals takes you over the raceway as the drag strip is in line with the runway vhpy

The landing was interesting as the runway slopes uphill..lol..so you thought you rounded out nicely and then you see the ground get closer before you begun your flare..ha ha..I managed to put her down nice and smooth.

I had a very nice warm welcome from Trevor and his wife Sue and met Manfred who is also a pilot at Xwinds...alsso met the airfield dog who gave myself and my wife a lekka skrik ##

Thanx Jo and Russel as well as the rest of the Circus Boyz,I really enjoyed my time at Circus and I really learned alot from all of you guys...I will surely be routing there often for breakfast :mrgreen:

I now only travel 15 minutes to the airfield...something I gotta get used to (**)

Have an awesome day and Blue Skies!!!

:x man
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Goodbye Circus...Hello Xwinds!!!

Postby Tailspin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 am

OK Madman

Now you are talking - Must definately make a plan and we can get together and fly around a bit to Roodekopies or even Rustenburg for a breakkie.
I fly from Aeroden but can arrange some Juice for you or i could come to Cosswinds and we can fly from there. (^^) (^^)
You will find Crosswinds to be a great airfield and lots to see from there.

Enjoy Dude. !!!! !!!! !!!! !!!! :mrgreen:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Tailspin,

I would really love that..just let me know when you flying as I would fly every weekend since I am so close.

I flew Sunday for an hour just taking in the beauty of the Magalies.Flying to you,would I fly straight over the Magalies mountains or do I route via Harties :?:

Madman
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 pm

I live about 30 min drive from crosswinds but the trike i fly lives at Aeroden and it is a bit far as it is a 93km Drive for me to Aeroden.
But yes you can get to Aeroden basically directly over the ridge then from there we can route to Rustenburg or Kokariba for Breakfast and coffee etc.
I like to fly Friday afternoons as on weekends the Family gets a bit tense when i am away too much as i travel with my Work alot around the country.

But i am sure we can arrange a sunday afternoon or something on those lines :D
Will keep you posted.

Regards
Gavin "Tailspin" 0 8 2 8 9 8 2 1 4 5
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Hey Gavin,

I check you fly a ZS registered Windlass..just like mine ##

I finish work at 16h30 and I normally get home around 6pm..so it would be difficult for me to fly in the afternoon...I can always try,go straight to the airfield after work and see what time I get there. ##

I would like the trip to Rustenburg..I was planning on going to Carltonville for a breakie as I know they also do breakies every weekend as its a dropzone just like Rustenburg...

Looking forward to flying with you puff

(^^)

Rafiek
0 7 3 8 4 3 7 6 9 8
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:14 pm

Madman wrote:Hey Gavin,

I check you fly a ZS registered Windlass..just like mine ##

I was planning on going to Carltonville for a breakie as I know they also do breakies every weekend as its a dropzone just like Rustenburg...

(^^)

Rafiek
0 7 3 8 4 3 7 6 9 8
Hi Rafiek

Now i have never flown to Carltonville - now that sounds like a good Idea.
I Will see what Saterday i can get Mommy to let me out to go and play outside with the boys and then we have a date.

Yea i fly a very Old Windlass 503 with a HUGE wing and alot of Class vhpy vhpy

Loking forward to a brekkie. !!!! !!!!
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Awesome..lol.

Yeah..we ruled by the petty coat government ##

From Xwinds,Carltonville is 25 miles..what wing do you have..I too have a Windlass 503 but manage to sit with the 582's coz the wing is moved forward and its only 14msq.

What are the areas to look out for when flying there..like how is it close to the Magalies ridges..I know there are two..North and South..but it seems North is hectic compared to South.I hear flying in the valley can also be fun ##

Looking forward to playing in the sky..ha ha,Sunday I flew through some puffs of cloud,kept it safe tho,it is really bumpy going through them... :roll:

I need to get my prop to De Necker to have it sorted.I seem to have klapped something which just messed up the previous repair..eish Captain ##

Cool beans!!!
(^^)
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi Demon,

The area is really beautiful,I am yet to explore it.

I will be sure to catch you on the radio if ever I am flying in the afternoon...sounds like that is the best time to fly...What are the procedures to land at Riet and where do you normally fly to?

Have an awesome day!
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Madman
Maybe I join you in the animal. Am based on West side of Harties. Hanagr should be done by End March, then fly every Flyday and usually Sun. If going over northern Magallies Ridge beware of the rotor. Usually go over higher South to North since prevailing wind is NW...

PS
Demon
The book says I should be able to land and take off from Rietties. GT's will have to wait for me though.
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Madman

Do yourself a favour and fly into Aeroden ## ##

I still think it’s one of the best looking fly in spots around with a looong runway and beautiful surrounding area to explore. xxx

Let me know when you are going that way and maybe I can meet you there ##
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
Alpha
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Alpha » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:22 pm

I am dying for some decent airtime and although I am based at klip I will be flying the fochville area and carletonville area often as that is where I staying at least until July! Got my carbs fixed so I am hoping weather will allow me to take a few flips in the afternoon after work!

Anyway, if there is a plan to fly into Carletonville, please let us know, I would love to join!

Fly safe
Gary
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory - Flying is making moments, memories

ZS-WGT
ZU-AAS
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 am

Good morning people (**)

Thanx guys,really looking forward to some beautiful flying.

I will be sure to keep that in mind Demon,I think I would be a bit nervous flying into CTR airspace ##

Thanx RV and Tribal,the Northern Ridge does make me nervous,so when I route to Aeroden I will try and avoid the Northern ridge or climb high as once over the Southern ridge you already in Cowboy Country (124.8) if I'm not mistaken vhpy

Hey Gary..I will be heading to Carltonville for a breakie on Sat,care to join me...Demon,Tailspin,Tribal and RV are you keen to join?

Well...if there are anyone else that want to join in..feel free..the more the merier 8)

Super Shweet ##

:x man
Alpha
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 am

Hi Rafiek, that sounds like a great idea, I think I will join you, I will also speak to Johan Henning and askif he cares to join us!

Blue skies... Wooooohoooo
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory - Flying is making moments, memories

ZS-WGT
ZU-AAS
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:46 am

Got a EAA Meeting at Rand on Sat :-(
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 am

Shweet Alpha...sorry Tailspin..let me know when you do fly then I can join.

Gary,when you speak to Johan,ask him to speak to Percy as well.You and Percy can fly together as Percy flies from Klip.

Supa Funtastic!!!