"5577" - The Seven Day Sling

Matters of general interest
jpitman
Found a flight school

"5577" - The Seven Day Sling

Postby jpitman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

This Saturday, 26 February 2011, 5 guys and 5 girls will be starting an ambitious project - to build an Airplane Factory Sling LSA from a standard kit, in 7 days. If all goes according to plan the aircraft will fly on Friday afternoon, 4 March 2011. Not only that - this is the same Sling that The Airplane Factory will deliver to Europe for certification by EASA -the European Aviation Safety Agency. And in order to deliver it, Mike Blyth and James Pitman who, together with Jean d'Assonville, are the owners of the business, will fly the plane to Poland and then Germany over the seven day period from 1 to 8 April 2011.

For further details see "Latest News" on The Airplane Factory website, http://www.airplanefactory.co.za. You will also be able to follow progress on the website and on our Facebook page during the build. Even better, pop in to Hangar 44 at Tedderfield any time during the build and you will be welcomed. Bring food, love, money, massages and anything else you feel you may be able to contribute. Eyeballs are welcome, but please don't interfere too much with the building! Deckchairs and cooler boxes welcome. The project aims to prove not only how easy it is to build a Sling and fly it to Europe, but also how much fun you can have doing it.

Assuming that the team members are still alive on Friday evening, 4 March, the project will be wrapped up with a party in The Airplane Factory hangar across the runway. The invite, prepared by Charmaine Blyth during a moment of confusion, appears below. All friends, family and interested parties welcome.

Feel free to post your questions here and well do our best to answer them.

See the Google Earth route to Europe attached and, to prepare you for the movie, a PDF version of the pitching document. Hhhhmmm, no, actually it's too big. You'll have to see it on Avcom!

Adios

James

PARTY INVITE –

Dear Friends, Flyers and Fabulous others

You may already know about the special project that the Airplane Factory is undertaking from 26 Feb but for the uninformed, a brief description follows:

The 5577 project is about 5 technically superior Men and 5 aesthetically pleasing Women, building a Sling in 7 days. A bit like Madiba's 46664, but with a considerably shorter period of hard labour.

Mike & James will then fly the uniquely created Sling to Poland in 7 days to deliver it to its eager new owner.

Clearly a project of this nature calls for a celebration and that's where you FFF's come in. We anticipate completing the build by Fri March 4th at the latest and the party will then commence. To allay any concerns for those who are paying close attention to detail here, Mike & James will not be flying to Poland straight from the party. Given their usual impeccable upstanding behaviour at social events, this would not be a problem but after a hard week, a bit of shut eye is only fair before they begin their treacherous dual continent journey.

As if this were not a great enough challenge, they will then return in an unprecedented effort by walking from Poland to Spain and swimming across the Mediterranean to Morocco. The original plan was from Palermo to Tunisia but in light of the torrid political climate, a change of route has been necessary. From Morocco, they will fly in the more conventional manner in a commercial airliner. Plans are afoot for another party to celebrate their homecoming so watch this space. (It must be noted that if your behaviour at the first party is not at least as impeccable as Mike and James' and the ever virtuous Jean, watching this space will not be necessary).

As with all Airplane Factory parties, there is no real start and finish time but for the enthusiasts, there will be some late afternoon flying to appreciate against the backdrop of the highveld sunset. Drinks will be served for as long as they last...you flying, climbing, dancing, singing folk are a thirsty lot...and a "lang arm" to Pink's "Get the party started" won't go amiss after dark.

So there you have it. We look forward to seeing each and every one of you and to this end, please RSVP if you'll be joining us.

Excellently yours

The Airplane Factory 5577 crew
Attachments
Sling to Europe 2011 - Via Krakow.kmz
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: "5577" - The Seven Day Sling

Postby Nkwazi » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 pm

You lot cease to amaze me!! Good luck
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 pm

AWESOME.

Can we pop by anytime to have a lookeeesee?
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Nkwazi
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Nkwazi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 am

Ummm, yes. Never cease to amaze me!!
ZU-BFS Aquilla
ZU-SMC Cheetah
Benoni
Impukane Nkwazi
MISASA Treasurer
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:08 am

Nkwazi wrote:Ummm, yes. Never cease to amaze me!!
I am amazed vhpy
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
Hadams
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Hadams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 am

Only from people like Mike, James and Jean can something like this be done! I will be watching this space with "eagle eyes"! Maybe just what i need to put some spark in my step again!

Good luck guys!
Henry Adams
ZU-CEA Raptor Trike
ZU-FTV Sling
Panorama

To be old and wise, one must first be young and stupid! And some of us refuse to grow up!
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:41 am

Go for it guys (^^) (^^) (^^)
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 am

All the best to you (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Alpha
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Alpha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:53 am

I met Jean over the December holidays and what a nice guy...Mike James and Jean...all the best for your adventure...I will definitely pop in to tedderfield and have a squizz at the happenings...

Fly safe!!
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory - Flying is making moments, memories

ZS-WGT
ZU-AAS
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 am

xxx
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:14 am

Go for it Guys.
I wis you the best of Luck with both the build and the Flight !!!! !!!!
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
AEROYOTA
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby AEROYOTA » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:13 pm

I Wish you all the very best of anything you might wish for. vhpy vhpy vhpy

Mike: Johan van Rensburg (Mad Boertjie) from the Mac CDL Days, sends you greetings!!

Cheers all.
jpitman
Found a flight school

Postby jpitman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the support. All is in place for the commencement of the build tomorrow morning, 7am. Like all great project things will start slowly with a good cup of tea and a rusk.

We'd love to see all of you here at Teddeerfield. Allcomers are welcome to sit down and have a cuppa while you watch. See you over the weekend!

James
LenM
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby LenM » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Should ANYONE of you have the time, please post a photo or two.. Can assure you there are many of us that will be following progress remotely!
Len M

The knack [to flying] lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
caneco
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby caneco » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 pm

all the best for you guys
I have a paper that says I fly, now I have to learn to do well