RAASA?

Matters of general interest
Tinkerbell
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: RAASA?

Postby Tinkerbell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:36 pm

I had to go to RAASA today for an ATF and license renewal. It took about 1 and half hours, not bad when you consider that they have lost 2 staff members that have not been replaced yet. Still long, but on par with CAA. And, something very important to me, friendly!
What I want to know is what Aeroclub does for us? You have to be a member else you can't get license/ATF etc. But why? I never receive anything from them, I can't even get a member number out of them. Stood there today untill it was found. I was told that our 3rd party insurance would probably pay out easier if you were a member. Still, so what, what do they do? What is the value add? Please let me know if you know...
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
ZU-RKU Zen
ZU-RTM Calidus
http://www.altairaviation.co.za
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Would also dearly like to know.......... :(> :(>
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Its like that story of the king dancing naked through the streets. "Everybody" will tell you they are great.

My opinion is that they have the AP's by the you know what. Maybe some AP's can shed some light on what they are paying and for what so that we are forced to be covered by someone for something that nobody know anything about. Now I confused myself. (**) (**)
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:07 pm

I don't know what aeroclub does :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: BUT what I do know is that if we did not have aeroclub we would be far worse off. Aeroclub fees are minimal and they are the controlling body which holds it all together. Like it or not we as a community are too slapgat and often disinterested to do anything and CAA will not engage all of us on individual level. there has to be a controlling body to "try" to regulate what goes on IMHO. Aeroclub is it. We have to have some sort of body to address issues at CARCOM and other committee levels. A lot of the "stuff" that goes on, goes on behind the scenes is done by aeroclub.... Without aeroclub I don't think there would have been AP system in current form for eg...

I happily pay my aeroclub fees so that I don't have to watch every move CAA or the airlines make. Most of the folks at Aeroclub are GA folks like us..

Just my 2c...

imagine for a second there was no aeroclub. RAASA would have to recover the cost of what aeroclub does and your ATF would cost R500 vs R100.... The stuuf they do has to be done. Tather done by a body where we could have a say that a regulatory (?) body that is above the law....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 am

Point taken, then why don't they come on here and tell us what they are doing. ## ##
I guess 2000 members at R500 per year, do the sums.
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:38 am

Aeroclub R250
MISASA R250

Welcome to the Aero Club of South Africa, South Africa's National Federation for Sport and Recreational Aviation

The Aero Club of South Africa is a composite body constituting all sectors of sport, recreational and private aviators. It is the combined force of all its sections, from power flight to gliding, ballooning to modeling.

First and foremost our primary responsibility is to our members. Nobody does more to promote general aviation than the Aero Club, its sections and its members. The successes we have enjoyed are a direct result of the commitment of our section leaders, our members, and their passion for free flight!

The past year, the Aero Club again honoured its commitment to its members and indeed solidified the future of private and sport aviation in South Africa.

The Aero Club offer:

Safeguarding our regulations, airspace and freedom of over regulation.
Preserving and developing private and recreational aviation.
Forge relationships with the Authorities in aviation such as the Civil Aviation Authority, the Air
Traffic and Navigation Services Company, the South African Weather Services and the
Department of Sport and Recreation.
Extending collective bargaining power to sections when engaging authorities on a variety of legal
and technical issues.
Ensuring affordable third-party legal liability insurance scheme to Microlight, Gyroplane,
Experimental and light aircraft.
Carrying professional Indemnity insurance for members.
Represent all sections on National and International forums and bodies.
Putting together a full Annual Report.
In order to exercise our mandate, the Aero Club involves itself with a variety of committees, work
groups and meetings.

Doing whatever it takes to PRESERVE FREE FLIGHT!
4 Sale (will trade)
Tinkerbell
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Nou toe nou, daar het jy dit! vhpy
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
ZU-RKU Zen
ZU-RTM Calidus
http://www.altairaviation.co.za
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Some of the issues they have dealt with in past I am aware of.
12 year o/h (mainly bliks) but I assume the 582 Rattex 300hr deal was also handled by aeroclub through MISASA :?: :?: :?:
Free air space below FL195 and not FL145 as mooted by ATNS
No transponders for flights below TMA's (Like special rules area)
No forced AP for night flight in single pilot ops
No WX fees.
Lobby for the reduction of the porposed increase in CAA fuel levy on AVGAS (for all the Jabbie drivers) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

These are by no means all that is/was done, but just a couple I know about since they affected me directly.... If any of then had been enforced I would have paid the equivalent of at least 40 years membership fees in 1 go..... puff puff puff puff puff

As you Guessed I am happy to chuck my R500 in the pot.... but that just me....
4 Sale (will trade)
georgeh
First solo

Postby georgeh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 pm

I just mentioned on thread "Streak Shadow" how helpfull and efficient some of the guys at CAA were, but i obviously shot my mouth off tooooo soon. Obviously some people there do their work and take it seriously, and others dont. I posted off paper work for copy of certificate of ownership on 11/03/10, it arrived 7am 12/03/10. On the 18/03/10 it still hadn't been collected from their private bag. Sent paper work for renewal of recreational pilot licence to RAASA 15/03/10, today19/03/10 still not here. Now i know why guy's are getting PISSED off, especially when your ATF expired 08/01/10. Like everything in our country, we just get cocked around with everything we do.
TOTALLY PISSED OFF.
Long week end of flying ruined!!!!!
George Harrower
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:13 pm

I just did a renewal of WSM license through RAASA. Posted paperwork on friday 5th revieved everything via express door to door the following friday. I e-mailed to check on the progress on wednesday to Pierre, recieved an e-mail Thursday saying it was on its way.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
speedy
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby speedy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:17 pm

I Think it got a lot to do with our postal department.Sent some paperwork to RAASA on monday.Tracking it on the internet.See today that RAASA has not even got it today.
Now if they only get it next week and sent it back to me.The whole proces can take 3 weeks.This is what started this post in the first place.
V
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby V » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:40 am

Yeah, the Post. Sent my ATF renewal to RAASA as a registered letter over two weeks ago, it's still not there. According to the Post Office it's been delivered to Lambton (not sure where that is) on March 8th and is awaiting collection ... The friendly ladies at RAASA are trying to help, but now my ATF exipred and I'm grounded.

Two suggestions to RAASA:

1. Please, please accept electronic (scanned or faxed) submissions. CAA did it, I had my ATF within 24 hours and nothing went lost.

2. Please, please be more clear with which address to use for what purpose. If it says 'Postal Address for Licence Applications' on the website, then I send my MPL renewal there and my ATF renewal to the other address (which doesn't seem to work that well). Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

V.

PS: Got my MISASA/Aeroclub card this week! Something's happening. I wonder how much longer is ICASA going to take, only paid them 2 months ago ...
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:52 am

[quote I wonder how much longer is ICASA going to take, only paid them 2 months ago ...
[/quote]

I've been flying with a copy of application and payment in my pannier bag for 2 years now.No licence.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:59 pm

On the RAASA website they recomend that you use postnet as they use a postnet box. I found that through postnet it was very fast and tracking the return parcel was easy and surprisingly rapid. There is also a very... 8) helpful young girl at the Parow Postnet office ##
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Hak
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Hak » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Did not have a prob with RAASA :lol: :lol: :lol: (^^)
"THe suspense is terrible. I hope it will last."