flight test for RAASA

Matters of general interest
Slider
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

flight test for RAASA

Postby Slider » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:17 am

Ok so this morning was one of those days that you know you will hate. I HAD TO DO A FLIGHT TEST............Damn

So i get to Microland and do the pre flight and all that stuff. I flew with Fanie and its is great. I absolutly loved every moment of this "TEST"

My 2 c worth..........

DONT see this as a test but a "RUST striper" ((NO MAN NOT a RUSTY STRIPER)). It was nice to see howmuch i forgot and need to brush up on, so im happy that RAASA want this every 2 years

See ya and fly see your test as an adventure
Last edited by Slider on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZU-ALW
Hanger 5-7
Microland
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: flight test for RAASA

Postby nicow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 pm

You might be happy,but I am not.This is just another way of getting more money out of us.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Beaver 550
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Beaver 550 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:58 pm

I have to agree with Slider. I did my test in Saldanha and really enjoyed it. I have done PPL tests before and this was on power. Amassing how correct you can fly if you have too. vhpy
Don't do as I do
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

I agree, It also forces you to recover those aspects of flying you prefer to avoid, like simulated engine out's stalls etc. I also enjoyed every minute of having him next to me again.
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Test is a non event. I think it a great idea....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:58 am

demon wrote:It can only improve safety and safe flying :!:
I agree 100% with Demon.
On the other hand, Slider and Nicow should have spelling tests more often.. :shock: vhpy
Hat, coat, door.......outta here!
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 am

For those that fly the minimum amount of hours per year, and this is the only flying they do, then it is a good idea.

For me, it's a bit of a pain in the backside to have to do a gyro flight test, when I already fly as my profession. As an ATP, if I had a PPL type aeroplane, would I also have to do a PPL flight test? If the answer is no, why then a gyro flight test, just because it's a different category.

In aviation one can always learn something different, so hopefully I get to learn something different when I do my flight test next week (after 600 odd gyro hours, and 13 000hrs total time), otherwise it's just a paper exercise proving to RAASA that I am safe to fly my gyro.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:52 pm

FO as an ATP surely you do dual checks from time to time? Consider your GPL renewal a dual check.

As a relatively 'novice' instructor I have been astounded to see some bad habits that have crept into some high-time (1400hrs+) pilots' procedures. [no names of course]

There is no down-side to the 'dual check' except a slight pain in the backside so I recommend a positive approach as we never stop learning, no matter how many hours we may have.

Fly safe

Len
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 pm

JetRanger wrote:FO as an ATP surely you do dual checks from time to time?
Big time. Last week I did two very intense 4 hour sessions in the SAA simulator as part of our twice a year recurrent training and checking, and to satisfy CAA requirements, so this is the month for me to get thoroughly checked out. We had everything from engine compressor stalls, to engine fires, passenger evacuations with an uncontained engine on fire, instrument failures, unusual attitude recovery training, to CAT 11 and 111 ILS training, with failures. Busy couple of days in the sim!

Don't have too much of a hassle with a dual check, as long as I get to learn something, or get shown a bad habit or two. :) Its just that for 10 yrs, we never had to do any dual checks. I wonder if my SAA colleagues that also fly aircraft like RV's will also have to have a dual check? Probably not because a Boeing or Airbus and a RV are in the same category, whereas gyro's and fixed wings are different.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
skidmark
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby skidmark » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:31 pm

I think a lot of the guys get a bit hesitant on this issue. I grab it with both hands. We may have picked up some "dirty" flying habits and this helps to keep you in check. There are certain maneuvers that I don't enjoy doing alone and it helps to test your ability and give you a bit of confidence to try it alone. For me slide slipping and dead stick. I just look at it as a check out. If i lived closer to my instructor I would probably do one once a month!!