Air nav pro

Matters of general interest
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Air nav pro

Postby mulderpm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:43 am

Can not agree more. The downloaded maps are true aviation maps.

Bob and Turbo, is there any way that the Special Rules Area can be shown as an Airspace? Like the FAD's and GFA's. It is not critical but then the SRA will be visible in the Elevation Graph when it is turned on.

I have attached my built airfields for the greater JHB area containing the corrected information. After renaming them from *.doc to *.txt you can upload them to your ANP using WiFi and the built in WebDAV server.
Attachments
Air Navigation user frequencies.doc
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Air Navigation user runways.doc
(2.53 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Air Navigation user waypoint.doc
(6.61 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Wow ... Thanks Paul.
Bob and Turbo, is there any way that the Special Rules Area can be shown as an Airspace? Like the FAD's and GFA's. It is not critical but then the SRA will be visible in the Elevation Graph when it is turned on.
That's what I was trying to figure out.
Byron Kirkland
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Mulderpm, will ask ANP people, maybe get them to post on here for us too... That would be something I would also like to do.

Just mailed ANP to ask them the question, aswell as invite them to chat to us on the forum. Hope that can answer some of our questions.
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 am

Hey guys,

This is thereplyni got from ANP

Thanks for inviting us join the forum.
We will try to participate, but not so actively since we have a lot of support work in this forum and also on our Facebook pages.
We invite you also follow us at:
https://www.facebook.com/AirNavNews

As for the Airspaces you request, we'll see what we can do about it.
Keep in touch.
Regards.
Sebastian Vecchio
Xample Support Team
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Yes Byron, I figured as much but when Baitbird explained how to make SRA airspaces visible I though I was missing something. The SRA's are not in the airspaces overlay on ANP. (strictly speaking should they be?) They are only in the 1:500 000 WAC map. I am sure they can be built into ANP as custom airspace's. I will give it a try. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:23 am

BTW if you want the JHB TMA (JHB Special Rules Area below TMA) which starts at 7600 ft to FL110 to display in ANP you must set the Airsapace Options, Airspaces selected to FL 80 or higer. FL 40, as in the picture below, will not display them.

I am trying to update the Kruger Mapumalanga airsapce as given in the latest AIP using ApenAir. So far I have amanged to create a circular restricted area...wow...!!! Long way to go. I have sent the AIP to ANP support and they said they will update it in the next release. (^^)
Attachments
IMG_0303.JPG
Slide to FL 80 or higher.
IMG_0303.JPG (63.77 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Right. I have managed to create the larger FAKN (Kruger Mapumalanga International) TMA, FAKN CTR and FANS (Nelspruit) Traffic, 125.2 MHz. If you stay below 5500 ft under the TMA and broadcast on 130.35 MHz you will always be in the Kruger Special Rules Area and you will be safe. Because I can not remove the old airspaces it becomes very confusing if I add all the new ones. Leave that to ANP to fix.

Just change the extension of the attached file from *.doc to *.txt and upload it using WiFi and the WEBDav server under Airsapces on your iPad/iPhone. (!!) Restart ANP and vouala. ($$)

Have fun. (^^)
Attachments
Kruger airspaces.doc
(979 Bytes) Downloaded 183 times
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
TJS
Pre flight checks done

Postby TJS » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:45 pm

I downloaded the free version of Air Nav as a test for my iPhone / iPad and I am impressed. I decided to now go for Air Nav Pro.

What map sets are included in the base product and what should I purchase in addition to get the most of the product?
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 am

Hi TJS, No maps come with it. I was advised, and bought, only the South Africa 500K WAC. I also downloaded all the free Add-on's for South Africa, except for the free map. To get the EFIS 3D module to work you need to also purchase the 3D data. (^^) (^^)

I am planning a trip to Botswana next year and want to use my ANP. ANP don't have Aeronaughtical Charts for Botswana. I bought the 1:1 000 000 WAC Charts and from them drawn/imported most of the airspaces into ANP, but the free map in the background is terrible. Any help would be appreciated. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
willemgreyling
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby willemgreyling » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:56 pm

I also use Airnav Pro. I bought a Mini iPad as a normal iPad is too big for the Savannah Dash. The mini works perfect. I bought one without 3G after being told that it will work (guy thought iPad's have GPS receivers) None of the iPad's have GPS receivers. If you have 3G then you can navigate as it uses the 3G network.

So I bought a Garmin GLO gps receiver and it works perfect with my iPad mini. I would recommend this option even if you have a 3G in your iPad as the Garmin GLO tracks 24 satellites and has a much faster refresh rate. I won't rely on 3G for navigation.
Panorama
Savannah S
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:13 am

I use iGo My Way on iPad for street navigation. It works when there is no Cellular coverage. No 3G, 2G, Edge, HSDPA etc. like in the middle fo the Kalahari desert. Also when flying cross country I often do not have cellular coverage (no service) and ANP keeps me on tracking? I can switch my iPad to Airplane Mode (switches off cellular and WiFi) and ANP tracking still works? vhpy The only time I loose tracking is when I have no visibility of the sky, like in a basement or under a zinc roof.

I think the older iPad's do not have GPS and WiFi. Mine has both and also has cellular (3G, Edge and HSDPA, don't know about 4G-LTE). That is why ANP has a bluetooth interface for an external GPS receiver.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am

Willem, on your iPad, check under settings, Privacy, Location services. There you can switch GPS, WiFi and Cell tower locations off or on, globally or per application.

Hope it helps
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
willemgreyling
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby willemgreyling » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks Paul. Does indicate that the iPad has a buil in GPS. The mini I have only has wifi. So I had to get the Garmin GLO.

Does work really well and no problems with signal losses vhpy
Panorama
Savannah S
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 am

willemgreyling wrote:Thanks Paul. Does indicate that the iPad has a buil in GPS. The mini I have only has wifi. So I had to get the Garmin GLO.

Does work really well and no problems with signal losses vhpy
Ok Willem. Pitty about that, but the external one will work just as well. Glad you are sorted. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
TJS
Pre flight checks done

Postby TJS » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

Pieter / Willem

Thank you for the information. I will go for the 500K WAC as suggested and later on for the 3D data.

Willem, I just happened to have a Garmin GLO lying in the drawer that I thought I will never have a use for. Do you need any software on you iPhone / iPad for it to work with Air Nav Pro or do you simply set up the Bluetooth connection?

Regards
TJ