What a/c would you choose?

Matters of general interest
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

Re: What a/c would you choose?

Postby Pepper 5 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Yes I agree local built is the way to go, just makes more sense. Should look at the Cubby too I suppose, are the VW engines ok with working that hard?

I believe there is a local built gyro, the Trojan if I remember correct from the article. Does anyone know if they are in production yet? Any other local built gyro?
Micro Aviation
Pre flight checks done

Postby Micro Aviation » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am

We are the manufacturer of the Bat Hawk LSA. Since January we have sold 17 units including aircraft to KZN Parks, SAN Parks, Sabi Game Reserve, SA Wildlife College, Lugenda in Northern Moz and Klaserie PNA. We are the preferred supplier of LSA to all of the above mentioned organisations. We are about to send 3 aircraft into NIassa Reserve and another 1 into the Selous area of Tanzania. We are busy establishing our Kenyan base to support the aircraft in the Serengeti. Some more info below.
• Finest surveillance aircraft on the market, with the best visibility out of the cockpit of any fixed wing aircraft, second only to very expensive helicopters.
• The finest and most affordable bush plane available in RSA. A real bush plane with 800mm prop clearance from ground.
• The propeller is high, out of your line of sight and protected by the pod below for rough field operations. Fitted with a large “wrap-a-round “ windscreen.
• The robust under carriage easily copes with unprepared runways.
• The Bat Hawk is an LSA version of the incredibly efficient Bantam Microlight aircraft that we have been marketing for the past 10 years, and is the market leader in Microlight fixed wing aircraft. 188 units sold throughout Southern Africa. From Addo Elephant Park to the Serengeti.17 Bat Hawks Sold since January alone!
• It’s a very good “ab initio” trainer with docile handling. No adverse yaw at all.
• Three axis controls with flaperons.
• 120hp. Jabiru 3300A engine with 80 liter fuel tank. Optional 100 liter fuel tank.
• Optional 110 hp. Viking (Honda) fuel injected engine also available.
• Stall 38 knots, Cruise speed 78 knots, VNE 92 knots.
• Climbs out at 1500 ft/min from sea level.
• Very short take-off 50m and landing 60m.
• LSA category light aircraft. Empty weight 260kg’s Max take-off 540kg’s.
• Hydraulic disc brakes and large tyres.
• Proudly South African manufactured, all airframe parts locally made with a quick turn around time on replacement parts if needed. Much cheaper than aircraft using imported spares.
• Ready to fly. Only accessories needed are your radio and headsets.
• Unbeatable new Jabiru 6 cylinder 120hp ready to fly price
R 360,000-00 excl.vat
• Unbeatable new Viking (Honda.) Fuel Injected 110hp ready to fly price
R 350,000-00 excl.vat
Most of the aircraft mentioned are fantastic aircraft, however when it comes to surveillance, one only needs to fly in all the various options to see that the Bat Hawk is by far superior.
We sell the most affordable light aircraft in Africa.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:39 pm

Contact saraf on here, Eben Mocke, they build the RAF gyro's in Upington so they are local with good support and lots off spares or even better yet is to go and visit them. They have an amazing setup and very friendly and will answer all your questions and more.

Good luck with your decision.
Flying feeds the soul!
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

Postby Pepper 5 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Well I never really gave the Bathawk/ Bantam much though but just the price alone is going to be hard to beat. That together with it being local is a major plus.

I also like the idea of the Subaru on the RAF, also side by side seating looks nice, don't know much about them gyros though. Will have to do research.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:20 am

There are truly so many local offerings to consider... Fly them all, check your budget and then make an informed choice.... You are being mission specific ;-)
Micro Aviation
Pre flight checks done

Postby Micro Aviation » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:02 am

Good advise from John Boucher!
We sell the most affordable light aircraft in Africa.
Pepper 5
Thinking of flying

Postby Pepper 5 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:32 am

Just to keep you guys posted, we have decided on the Bathawk. Went to visit Terry and Andrew and we were most impressed. Delivery in about 5 weeks time. Cant wait.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Congratulations sir.... vhpy and you gotta join MISASA ;-)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Robbie Shaw
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Robbie Shaw » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:07 am

What will make this a reality is the budget you have to spend.... It will but you in a price bracket and in turn will direct you to some sort of a/c ....

Happy days ahead.... Best of luck....
Robbie Shaw. (Rhodie)
Zero seven 2 5 six zero 2 six two seven
ZU-BJU. (Love Machine)
Airmanship No 1
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 pm

just go get the P51 mustang and have all the fun in the world, and leave the game counting to someone you pay to do it..... hehe :)

man that is such a difficult quesiton to answer ---
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 pm

You need to look no further! Local is lekker. Big tanks for longer range flights, nice roomy cockpit, generous luggage box, for those weekends away, parts available fast,(remember: LOCAL), selection of engine options, wings can be folded back on the Explorer and on and on.......oh yes, and lest we forget, you get a real aeroplane when you go Explorer. I know, I have one of my own. 8) 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB9nQq70CoM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyn8wlV0WI

Enjoy vhpy
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Pepper 5 wrote:it must be able to handle a bit of wind and lots of turbulence with ease.

So basically we need something cheap to run, slow, safe able to take punishment.
Low-level is right.

Read up about wing-loading and you will find a Gyro is your best/safest option.

PS: At 1/10th of the cost of a R22! Can't hover out of ground effect, otherwise similar performance and runs on Mogas!
Rampant Rat
Ready for the first flight

Postby Rampant Rat » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 am

It seems power and lifting capacity are important to these heavy okes... Nobody followed through on the Trojan Gyro from Wagtail! Yes, Subaru powered and 100% local manufacture too - just like the RAF. Do fixed wing LSA pilots really like flying in strong winds? No they don't! If you have strong wind conditions in your operating area like you say, you really should look at a gyro. My choice would be the new Trojan, there's just no competition.
Richard Smallman
ZU-RKJ Trojan Gyro
ZU-FXN Sling 2