Lucky escape, lesson learnt

Matters of general interest
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Lucky escape, lesson learnt

Postby bobthebuilder » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:24 am

Something I can remember Mervyn shouting from the back seat, was to never take your eyes off of your selected landing site / strip.
Byron Kirkland
Cacofonix
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Cacofonix » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks. Perhaps if we prepare for the unexpected then the unexpected is always expected :!: yeahaaaa once again I will learn from others experiences vhpy vhpy vhpy
Man small...why fall?..Skies call...that's all.
ZU-EJU
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Bundy wrote: Perhaps we Microland boys can come up with some sort of Code word so we can surprise ourselves with a bit of practice when we are flying around together? The chances of an engine failure overhead the airfield are slim...it will nearly always happen away from a runway...I need to practice this much more often if I want to make sure the "instincts" are there when I need them...
Bundy

Your code will be at a very convenient time, trust me. It will never be while flying low level over the dam.

Gyronaut once said, while flying, and there comes a lady pilot's voice over the radio, cut the engine to idle, and see if you will survive. As unexpected, and unwelcome as the dreaded silence from he back. :wink:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:28 am

Low Level wrote: Gyronaut once said, while flying, and there comes a lady pilot's voice over the radio, cut the engine to idle, and see if you will survive. As unexpected, and unwelcome as the dreaded silence from he back. :wink:
You are right...sub conciously you will prob pick a prefferred spot even before you try and "surprise" your wingman. :roll:

Gyronaut's idea is great and completely random. (^^)

Done deal, I will be doing this from now on. 8)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:56 am

Alan and John’s advice is 100%. Thanks Al & J. (^^)

1) Never, never perform unplanned and potentially dangerous maneuvers, especially with a PAX.....remember HASELL :oops:
2) Practice emergency landings regularly...once or twice a month
3) Never switch off the engine when doing simulation.
4) Never, never do anything to impress anyone ## ....least of all to boost your own ego ## ##

I know when you have an engine out you will be dead stick and in all likelihood with a PAX, but that sort of close simulation is not worth it. ## IMHO, If you regularly practice forced landings on idle and solo you should be ok. After all, emergency landing forms part of your NPL licence requirements and you will have to do 2 or 3 for your next flight skills test.

So glad all ended well (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria