Rhino Poaching by helicopter AGAIN

Matters of general interest
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Rhino Poaching by helicopter

Postby Learjet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:26 am

Using a helicopter to poach in a game reserve... not exactly discreet is it? Even if the registration is masked... identifying a heli in an area by type and colour shouldn't be too difficult? And why bother with darting when it would be much simpler to just shoot the rhino? In fact, if a well organised poacher is spending thousands of Rands on fuel...why gamble the whole poaching operation by using home-made darts??? The M99 tranquiliser drug is also helluva toxic and handling it carries considerable risk and is strictly controlled. That's not to say it wouldn't be impossible to get on the black market - but at what price? And why, when it comes back to the fact that simply shooting the rhino would be safer, easier, cheaper and more effective? This darting story doesn't add up...

A far more likely scenario is that the private land owners are missing the anti-tracking techniques used by poachers - or they only discover the carcass days later when the tracks have eroded and the apparent lack of spoor leads them to think that the poachers must have dropped out of the sky. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a staff inside job and the helicopter is a convenient excuse to explain access into a fenced private reserve so nobody notices the carefully swept spoor leading back to the staff quarters...

Dunno chaps... call me a sceptic...an isolated incident or two...perhaps. But widespread poaching with helicopters...? Nah....I'm beginning to believe that this is one of those stories that sound highly plausible at face value but which don't stand up to scrutiny when it comes to scratching the surface for facts.
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 am

Is it possible to insure game against loss? Agendas?

OK. some might keep Rhinos and exotic game for legitimate conservation reasons but are'nt there many just keeping some to justify the gate takings or bred for profit?

Nothing wrong, but for one breeding to sell for profit shows oppertunity to these as#$^&oles.

Canned lion hunts, shark fins, leopard skins, perlemoen, blue marlin and sailfish to hang on a wall?..... man is a vark sometimes.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Dreamer
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Dreamer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:54 am

Learjet wrote:Using a helicopter to poach in a game reserve... not exactly discreet is it? Even if the registration is masked... identifying a heli in an area by type and colour shouldn't be too difficult? And why bother with darting when it would be much simpler to just shoot the rhino? In fact, if a well organised poacher is spending thousands of Rands on fuel...why gamble the whole poaching operation by using home-made darts??? The M99 tranquiliser drug is also helluva toxic and handling it carries considerable risk and is strictly controlled. That's not to say it wouldn't be impossible to get on the black market - but at what price? And why, when it comes back to the fact that simply shooting the rhino would be safer, easier, cheaper and more effective? This darting story doesn't add up...

A far more likely scenario is that the private land owners are missing the anti-tracking techniques used by poachers - or they only discover the carcass days later when the tracks have eroded and the apparent lack of spoor leads them to think that the poachers must have dropped out of the sky. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a staff inside job and the helicopter is a convenient excuse to explain access into a fenced private reserve so nobody notices the carefully swept spoor leading back to the staff quarters...

Dunno chaps... call me a sceptic...an isolated incident or two...perhaps. But widespread poaching with helicopters...? Nah....I'm beginning to believe that this is one of those stories that sound highly plausible at face value but which don't stand up to scrutiny when it comes to scratching the surface for facts.
Hey Learjet,
True it is not discreet, but it is fast...fly , shoot, land ,chainsaw, take off and gone..long before any reaction team can respond to the scene. As for darting it is quieter than a rifle shot, the helicopter probably sounds like it has passed on but a gun shot will attract a faster reaction. In the remote areas of certain reserves there is also a good chance that no-one gets a description of the aircraft. As for the darting it is being used, I have seen the pics with the darts in the rhino as well as other evidence which indicates darting. Inside help is always a possibility but make no mistake these are organized syndicates and it involves a lot of money. The number of rhino's taken this year is into the double figures and if helicopters were used in all or only in 2 or 3 cases is irrelevant. The point is that evidence points to them being used. Its like saying crime is not a problem there are only isolated incidents of murder. Believe me there is a lot of surface scratching going on finding those facts. Which ever way you look at it, this is an ugly situation. There is a war going on for our rhino. Just hope we win it or your and my kids may not see the rhino other than in zoo's.
A new resident at Microland
If the runway is wider than it is long, rethink your circuit.
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Latest on Avcom is that it is a R44 either dark blue or black with a white stripe.
wiskeyfoxtrot
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby wiskeyfoxtrot » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 am

Its simple, catch the f@#kers, and hang them up but their balls.
I cant believe that people can stoop so low! Amazing what people will do for money.
These guys need to be caught and made an example of.
( but in this country the size of your wallet and contacts in the " goverment " makes it easy to get away with anything ! ) Bush justice is the only way :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

These guys make me sick to my stomach ! But NEVER forget, the wheel turns and their time will come. ( Ill be waiting with a blow torch & pliers, and will get medi evil on them ! ) :evil: :evil:

Later (!!)
" Excuse me while i kiss the sky "

Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat
ZU - DYE
Sport Cruiser
ZU - LSA
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:30 pm

wiskeyfoxtrot wrote:Its simple, catch the f@#kers, and hang them up but their balls.
I cant believe that people can stoop so low! Amazing what people will do for money.
These guys need to be caught and made an example of.
( but in this country the size of your wallet and contacts in the " goverment " makes it easy to get away with anything ! ) Bush justice is the only way :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

These guys make me sick to my stomach ! But NEVER forget, the wheel turns and their time will come. ( Ill be waiting with a blow torch & pliers, and will get medi evil on them ! ) :evil: :evil:

Later (!!)
The trouble is. By the time the wheels turn, there will be hardly any Rhino left. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Vernon.
ZU-CDW - Shark
First solo

Postby ZU-CDW - Shark » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:05 pm

One thing coming out from all the postings is that we are passionate about conservation and if it is true that a fellow aviator has stooped so low as to utilise his skills to kill these wonderful beasts he/she will pay dearly if identified.

I agree that the anti poaching police unit must be re-introduced and the goverment must ensure that all focus and enforcement is placed on our conservation laws. Sadly without manpower to enforce the law it will be very difficult to combat this very lucrative illegal industry especially when you have foreign embasy members who are involved....as highlighted by Cart Blanch some time last year.
Shark
ZU-CDW
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

Postby Blue Max » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Hierdie ernstige misdade word op n lae frekwensie deur die land se leiers ge-hanteer...Die rede daarvoor omdat dit ons land in n slegte lig stel...Dit is nie goeie publisiteit as n land se mense en sy diere stelselmatig uit gemoor word nie...so kom ons hou dit geheim!!!
Wat my bekommer is die gebrek aan besorgheid oor hierdie skatte wat deur gepeupel geplunder word...
Ek glo dat dit nie te moeilik kan wees om die skuldiges vas te trek nie...want die ondersoek terrein is baie klein..Daar is min helikopters in die land...daar is min helikopter pilots in die land...Begin by die polisie en die weermag se lugvleul..
Ek wonder of daar al iewers n ondersoek vanaf die regering se kant af aan die gang is????? :roll: :roll:
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Good point Ble max!! m,aybe the cops can investigate all chopper pilots and see where they were during that time. This can be done without too much cost. I also wish that people put as much heart and feelings into all the farm murders that happen everyday. There was one today in the cape!! Makes me equally as pissed off!!