4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:07 am

Ok changed the file name and tried again. :? :?

Will keep it in mind next time.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:35 am

I had a wonderful 1hour 10 min this morning with CLU-less. We explored some of the airfields Gert discovered towards the south of the Paardeberg :D :D :D 8)
Greg Perkins
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:55 pm

Has anyone ever NOT looked forward to flying?

I've been having a bad week and yesterday wasn't keen for today's lesson, needless to say it made my day and has cheered me up, so I'm happy - but should I worry? :shock:
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:34 pm

DieselFan wrote:Has anyone ever NOT looked forward to flying?

I've been having a bad week and yesterday wasn't keen for today's lesson, needless to say it made my day and has cheered me up, so I'm happy - but should I worry? :shock:

I can't even count the times I have not looked forward to a flight. Mostly its when our NE is blowing, the rotor over the forest is gonna be hell for both take-off and landing and the tourist are lined up. My skygod doesn't seem to battle in any kind of rough stuff and its a bit tough to live up to that kind of pressure.

Also when I am very busy, have lots on my mind, I don't think I can give my full attention to flying, I don't look forward to it, but it has a magical way of clearing my mind and making me feel soooooo much better :D .
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:01 pm

I had a few occasions during training when I dragged myself off to the field, not looking forward to the flying. Home to the field was a long way, 70+ kms and it sometimes felt like a complete pain in the @ss.

Once I took off, it was like I left all that behind and had a great flight and never looked back. Flying clears the mind.
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Cali
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Cali » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:09 pm

I met Dieselfan on wednesday morning. I did look forward to the flying but I know why he was feeling good afterwards. We both flew the 0600 slot and the first 30 mins was great. Yes there was some wind but it was steady. I allmost forgot how bad I felt last wednesday. Things are comming together for me now.

Nice to have met you dieselfan.
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
ZU-ANE

Mozambique

Postby ZU-ANE » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:14 pm

Been there for three weeks. Flying between Maputo & Xai-Xai. Weather was bad. lots of wind and rain. Only managed 4 hours. Magical. :wink:
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

The Big Day

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:07 am

Hi All,

Finally, a window of clear weather after 10 days of sitting on my new MPL licence to give the brats a flip.

Weeks of 'spinning' who is going to go first, arrived this morning at 05h00.

The looks of anticipation beat any Christmas morning, strapping in the first resembled the the 'Big Dip' operator and the screech of delight at take off was better than who sees the sea first.

My first mili -second of fear caught me when I lost some control during take- off, only to find that my boy had bumped the hand accelerator 'open' must change the posistioning.

Weeks of eventual rain and persistant winds washed and blew the normally bland landscape green and pristene, and the continious 'wow' and 'who put all these dams here' to 'look at the silver clouds' was nothing short of magical.

Leaving at 05h00 with ;don't wake up up' for training will be met with a new meaning.

I put this way above the intro flight and certainly with first solo.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:49 am

A glorious 1.5hrs out over Lenasia (past the south of the town NOT the built up are ;)) then towards the south and back - just a senseless flight in a silly direction to be able to appreciate flying again!
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:28 am

Flew Saturday 0.5 hr in circuits and 0.7 hr General Flying.
Sunday 0.6 hrs circuits. Got so despondent with myself as it was just not coming together. I was thinking that I might never get this right!!

Today, 0.7hrs circuits and it is all starting to come together :lol: :lol:

Did a simulated engine out from 3000' and an engine out from 4500'.

The weather was good to me and I am now getting the hang of this; watch this space.
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:30 am

Common Wart, dont get despondent! Your problem is that you are thinking about other things ( beats me what ':-) and you are not concentrating on the task at hand.

Keep it up and soon your priorities will change. Good luck and watching this space.

I had a good 1.8 hrs flight yesterday arvie in the Hartbeespoort Dam are, chasing boats, exploring the country side and relaxing big time. At last the weather seems to have settled here for a while.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:42 am

Thursday morning CLUless and I took a sedate flight out to Malmesbury. Here we did a touch and go before returning. It was great :D

On landing at Morning Star I touched down ever so gently and when the front wheel touched the front fork snapped :shock: and folded under the nose. I managed to steer the plane using rudder and up elevator to relieve the weight on the nose until the plane was too slow for any rudder authority and it then ran off the runway. :twisted:

This front fork had been previously repaired just before I bought her and now I discover that the AP used 2mm thick mild steel tubing, threaded all the way down. At the point where the tube snapped there was less than 1mm of steel due to the threading. I am really pissed off about this at that repair cost R3000.

Anyway, apart from some surface scratches on the front wheel spat , a minor tear in the belly material and a small crack on the fibreglass nose cone, no other damage occured to the plane or the highly pissed off pilot except of couse for the broken front fork. :evil:

I took it in to a mate in the flying club who also has a Challenger and an engineering works and we replaced the 2mm thick 25mm mildsteel tube with a 5mm thick, 25mm stainless steel tube. We also only threaded the top portion that requires it. Fortunately he had a sample of the original and we used that.

The weekend was completely unflyable I spent the time repairing my baby. I also installed the RF Choke and 12 V Regulated output I made from John Young's circuit, to power the radio and the Intercom. 8) works like a dream. It's available here http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=889

This morning, Monday, weather looked good, 6am at the airfield did a quick preflight and discussed the conditions with CLU-less. From the clouds there seemed to be a moderate easterley blowing at 1000ft but at field level the wind was a mild southerly. Took off for a circuit and the easterly wacked me just above tree height :shock:
Came around to finals and got thrown all over the place. At one stage the left wing lifted and seemed to take forever to get it back down again. I brought her back to line up and 10ft off the ground the left wing lifted again, nearly touching the wingtip :shock: :shock:. Full left ailerons and rudder brought her back and I landed safely on my newly repaired undercarraige. :D As CLU-less flies a trike I recommended that he doesn't try the conditions at all. We both agreed and packed away. 3 minutes flying time in total :evil:
Greg Perkins
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:15 am

Morph,

Those wind conditions sound terrible. We have been having similar conditions for as long as I can remember, but we were lucky yesterday to have a bit of a break. This morning was absolutely stunning, but I could not get out of the office.

It seems that you probably got hold of very similar circuitry to what I have in my plane. I found it some time ago in the microflight magazine and promptly ordered it. It makes a big difference. I have tried to find the mag again to give you the details, but alas, I have misplaced it. Anyway, you are now organised and the need is gone.
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:02 pm

Got in 2 hrs over the weekend :D
Saturday's hour was as bad as I've seen it in years :evil:
Yesterday worked in the garden until 17:30 walked to the hanger got in a full hour 8) So the wife is happy, her "slave" :oops: could fit in a full days work and I managed my little pleasure :D
No it does not glide- it FLIES